Welp, certainly am a bit behind on my days this week. I actually thought yesterday was Thursday for a bit, until a co-worker knocked me off that daydream. My WILW post will be making a late entrance this week.
1. 44 & X. Um…this restaurant is fabulous. I really can’t believe I’ve lived a stone’s throw away from this place for almost two years and only set foot inside for the first time last night. It was classy, in a white-washed, upholstered bar stools, shabby-chic sort of way, and the food was phenomenal. They affectionately call themselves “a little bit of Heaven in Hell’s Kitchen,” with the staff even wearing shirts that say “Heaven” on the front and “Hell” on back (of course I am on a mission to get myself one), and they’re totally accurate. This place does everything right.
There was a halibut involved too, which was heavenly, but sadly went unphotographed. I think the salad was my favorite, but all three dishes were pretty perfect. I can’t wait to return…and often.
2. My strength sessions. I was pretty bummed about straining my calf last weekend and went easy on the running this week, only completing a 6-miler and a 4-miler so far (and hoping for a solid long run on Saturday at home = hills, here I come!). However, I found myself craving my strength & interval workouts even more this week, and had two really killer sessions with my trainer at the industrial, basic-but-efficient Mid-City Gym. Kettlebells and TRX really get my blood going, and I love feeling strong. It’s also a good mental shift for me, to keep me from getting too focused on thinking I have to be a crazy runner to be getting an amazing workout.
3. Motivational fruit. I think ordinary things in life should always come with little notes. Well played, Chiquita. Well played. I also agree with this assertion — bananas are my post-workout fuel choice without fail.
4. Skuttlebutt wine. So I’ve yet to try this line of wines, but I was instantly captivated by its adorably quirky name — which got even better after I read the definition. I thought maybe it was a silly nickname for someone (or maybe a dance move? jkjk). The website tells you just why this word was chosen, and what its origins mean:
“The word skuttlebutt has its origin in the antiquated, nautical term for the source of drinking water on sea-going vessels. It has evolved into the colloquial term for gossip, rumour and idle chatter. This transformation can be explained by the very nature of social gatherings. Crowding around the skuttlebutt to obtain a drink of water was part of everyday life and the opportunity for idle chatter amongst the crew was the inevitable outcome and so the word became synonymous.”
Well, that’s pretty darn perfect for a wine. And yes, I will absolutely choose things in my life based on words, a hundo p. I walked by a wine store last week and saw this bottle in the window, and I had to stop and snap a pic to remind myself to snag a bottle of this Shiraz-Merlot-Sangiovese rosé blend asap:
5. Quest bars. What a find. I just tried them for the first time this week, and I already ordered a 12-pack sampler of the all-natural line from their site. I mean, these nutritional facts are tough to beat, and they’re rated as one of the healthiest protein and granola bars on the market.
So far, I’ve tried the Cinnamon Roll (all-natural line), the Coconut Cashew (all-natural line), and the Chocolate Brownie (original line), and I liked them in that order. I’m a huge fan of anything “Autumn-flavored,” like cinnamon and nutmeg and appley and pumpkiny…you get the picture. I pretty much knew I’d like the Cinnamon Roll the best before I tried them. They’re definitely dense and chewy and are somewhat like a more flavorful, less tough, overall more enjoyable PowerBar, with way better nutritional facts. They certainly keep me full for hours — I had one for breakfast and lunch today. Big fan. 🙂
Questions: What was something great about your week? What’s your favorite granola/protein bar?
2 thoughts on “What I Love Wednesday (on Thursday)”
My absolutely favorite bar are Think Thin Crunchy PB bars…no added sugar and they taste like candy with protein (20 grams).
Something great about my week, I’m going to New York this weekend for a friends wedding! Who doesn’t go to a wedding across the country the weekend before their own? 😉
enjoy NY and best of luck preparing for your adventure into married life! 🙂