Thursday feels like a good day to be thankful. Doesn’t it?
I have to be honest with you: I haven’t really been feeling all that thankful lately, even though I know I should. And I say that shamefully, as I really, really want to be someone who maintains a cheerful spirit and a thankful heart. And I think I generally am that person, so it really irks me when I get into an overwhelmed-with-life sort of funk and can’t seem to snap out of it. There are a total of zero things wrong with my life, and about a gazillion things amazing.
We all stress out and fall down and shed some tears now and then, but the important thing is to pick ourselves back up and refocus on what’s beautiful about our lives. I feel like I’m giving myself a pep talk here — and you know what? I think I need it. I need to remind myself to slow down and fill my life back up with more of the positives.
I’ve been toying with this idea for a while, starting a “thankful thursday” post — partially because the English nerd in me loves some good alliteration, and partly because a weekly post dedicated to thankfulness just seems necessary. I believe we all can benefit from taking a deep breath, shutting everything else out, and counting the quiet blessings — and the dazzling, glaringly loud blessings — in our little corners of the world…and remembering that nobody else will ever be us, or write the stories we can write with our lives. That’s pretty darn huge.
So, today, I am thankful for:
*a friend who goes on vacation halfway across the world and still finds time to text me a pic of a fierce female athlete and say “thought this would be cute for your blog”
* fur-rimmed hoodies.
* dark chocolate squares.
* new Nike running clothes as a surprise gift.
* no classes on Thursdays this semester!! #thankfulthursdayindeed
* going home this weekend upstate to relax in the comfort of my parents’ house, laugh my head off with my brother/bestest friend, and to see a lovely friend get married.
* opening a text book and remembering that i’m working toward a goal.
* push-ups: because when all else fails, i’ll always be a rockstar at these.
* having a bag of hand-picked apples on my counter.
* wearing tights today for the first time this season.
* knowing there will be a calm after the storm, and that God will never give me more than I can handle. He’s so good like that.
Question: For what are you thankful today?