1. coffee Fridays. one of my close girlfriends and i work together, and we’ve decided to start making Fridays our Starbucks-date days. there’s a Sbucks in the lobby of our building, so it’s a nice little break from sitting at a desk. it also breaks up the daily routine of regular old Keurig drip with a nice Skinny Vanilla Latte (my cup of choice). fun fact: i was a barista for a while, both in Colorado and in Albany. and i didn’t mind it one bit.
2. Broadway! stoked to be going to a show tonight. i really need to get better about making this a habitual thing. i’m seeing Violet, of which i know nothing, but which has a pretty sweet plot and is supposedly really well done:
“Violet tells the story of a young woman’s quest for beauty amidst the image-obsessed landscape of the 1960s. Facially disfigured in a childhood accident, Violet (Foster) dreams of a miraculous transformation through the power of faith. Convinced that a televangelist in Oklahoma can heal her, she hops a Greyhound bus and starts the journey of a lifetime. Along the way, Violet forms unlikely friendships with her fellow riders, who teach her about beauty, love, courage and what it means to be an outsider.”
3. motivation & inspiration. because it’s always the perfect time to give yourself a life pep-talk.
4. giving back. i participate in Big Brothers/Big Sisters of NYC and head up our office’s program, and i am so enjoying building a relationship with my “little” this year. life is so busy in NYC, and it’s so easy to get caught up in your little bubble and run around like a crazy person with a thousand things to do, and volunteering or investing in someone else’s life on a consistent basis can be difficult to schedule in as much as we’d like. it may seem like a small thing, just giving 4 hours of my time a month to build a relationship with a 15-year-old girl, but last night at group she shared with everyone how much it meant to her to have another adult role model in her life outside of her family and how glad she was to have me and that she felt that we were the perfect match. it almost brought tears to my eyes right there in program. i didn’t realize i had this much of an impact on this girl i’ve only just begun to build a relationship with. it definitely makes me want to evaluate how i spend my time, and make sure i’m prioritizing my investment in other people — because nothing else feels as good, or matters as much.
5. running humor. i work with a few guys who are marathon runners as well, and we obviously bond over our crazy love for running distances. one of them sent me this BuzzFeed article (any other BuzzFeed fanatics out there?? it’s fantastic, right??) this afternoon: 75 Thoughts Every Runner Has While out for a Run. okay, so i haven’t had most of these thoughts, but it was a funny little piece to read and laugh at anyway. here are some of my fave points:
32. Man, what are these people doing in front of me? Walking?!
33. Is this a contest to see who’s the worst at walking? Because you are both champions in my heart.
60. Wait, less than one mile to go? I am KILLING this run.
61. I AM THE SWIFTEST GOD OF ALL TWO-LEGGED CREATURES.
62. YES, including ostriches.
63. Honestly, I should sign up for a marathon.
little laugh for you. 🙂
happy weekend, friends! xo
What’re you looking forward to this weekend?
Seen any good theater productions lately, or is there anything you’re dying to see?