linking back up for the 2nd week in a row with Amanda at Running with Spoons and the other gals who participate in this Thursday fun!
1. is the lamb here to stay? so please tell me you guys are familiar with the whole “in like a lion, out like a lamb” idiom used to describe March’s personality, right? i’ve been chanting this every Spring since i could string words together (my parents were great teachers, thanks Mom!), but when i dropped it on the boy last weekend, he looked at me like i was speaking Parseltongue. i mean, this is a thing, guys. someone tell me they say this, too?
translation: the sun & blue skies have returned to NYC, and we hit 55 degrees yesterday. i seriously considered starting patio season already after work last night. can’t wait to run outside tonight, and i’m choosing to believe it’s only going to get better from here on out. c’mon, March!
2. eating: all the protein. so although i’m not sticking to Whole 30 strictly (i had wine with friends last night, whoops), i’m still loosely trying to base the majority of my diet around their food list, and i’ve been eating more eggs in the past 2 weeks than ever in my life. i was never much of an egg person, and now i’m hard boiling them like whoa and actually loving them. they keep me full for hours and eliminate any desire to snack, so i’ll take that! i’ve also been eating a lot of grilled chicken, and staying away from chips and crackers and bread products 100%, so that’s a win.
3. reading: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. i’m a big C.S. Lewis fan — the Narnia series is one of my faves — and i started this book years ago but didn’t get into it. my roommate and i decided to read it together and discuss it, so i’m committed to it this time.
in case you’re unfamiliar with it, this is from Wikipedia: “The Screwtape Letters is a Christian apologetic novel written by C. S. Lewis. It is written in a satirical, epistolary style and while it is fictional in format, the plot and characters are used to address Christian theological issues, primarily those to do with temptation and resistance to it…the story takes the form of a series of letters from a senior Demon Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood, a Junior Tempter.”
so yep, the narrator is a demon, and the book uses this interesting style to tackle a bunch of issues in the Christian faith. it’s rather dense, but i think it’s really good for me to read this (especially after all the fiction to which i default), so it’s good. i love being challenged and forced to really think about serious issues, so this is certainly accomplishing that.
4. Vegas! so i just found out last night that the weekend i’ll be in Vegas is now the weekend of the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight — aka the richest fight ever, with a purse of over $250 million!! whaaaaat?! thank God we booked our flights way ahead of time, b/c i imagine the prices will soar. i’m not into boxing whatsoever (i just know Pacquaio’s name b/c my old trainer was a Filipino who was also a boxer and he was obsessed), but the weekend should be packed and full of fun events and craziness, so that’s cool. not that i’ll probably partake in anything. i just am stoked to go to Vegas. and it’s a family trip — have i mentioned how much i love family trips? when your family is as fab as mine, you want to do all the things together. seriously, our vacas are the best.
5. food. these snapea crisps in wasabi ranch are so good. i ate them on Tuesday on the train ride to class because i didn’t have time for lunch…but i refuse to consider them “chips” because they are essentially vegetables. they’re so light and puffy and have a great flavor. i’m a sucker for anything wasabi.
6. NYC Half. i’m not running that this year (sad face), but a big “good luck and have so much fun, this is an amazing race!” to all of you who are tackling it. i loooooved this race last year and had allllll the feelings about my city, so i hope you runners have a smashing time.
7. Instagram humor. half of my feed consists of these comedy accounts…please tell me you guys follow them. daddyissues? betches? girlwithnojob? i cannnnn’t. hilarity.
whena bestie and i are going anywhere (before we fall asleep on the couch and our boys take pix):
when you’re not with an actual like boy and amusing yourself with boytoys:
when your delusions of grandeur don’t quite align with the reality of your life in NYC:
but i’m maintaining that it’s still the best city, no matter what.
Whatcha thinkin’ bout this Thursday, friends?
Tell me something good from your week!
7 thoughts on “Thinking out Loud”
I like how you followed up the lamb comment with a comment about protein. Subconscious? lol. I am just thinking about sun (which I can see through the office across from me) and flowers (on my desk that I can smell and are making me so happy. Also food, because I am starting to get hungry. And you mentioned protein.
Dammit. Now I’m really hungry. This is your doing.
ohhhhh snapea crisps are the best!!!
I have never heard of that idiom but I sure do hope the lamb is here to stay. Did I say that right? The Girl with No Job Instagram is the best!
haha yep, you nailed it. 🙂
Oh man I hope the lion is gone for good – it was in the 30s and sunny here today which was definitely feeling WARM. I hope this continues and outdoor runs because a regular thing!
PS – never had those snap pea crisps but they sound great! What’s in them besides snap peas?
yesss we need that lion banished. 🙂
they’re so good! from the site: INGREDIENTS: Green Peas, Vegetable Oil (Canola, Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil), Rice, Salt, Calicum Carbonate And Vitamin C (Ascorbyl Palmitate)
Never ever ever heard that phrase, sorry! Wish I could help! hahaha. That book sounds so cool. I know I’d never get through it (my attention span is like WHOA when it comes to books…terrible I know but I need some good, addicting fiction to suck me in). Although I think the content sounds fascinating! And thank GOODNESS you booked your flight early! That’s supposed to be one of the busiest weekends in Vegas in decades.