i’m joining Running with Spoon’s weekly Thursday Thinking out Loud linkup this week, where we basically just spill our random thoughts and discover little fun (& crazy) facts about each others’ lives. considering how much i love random conversations, i really should be linking up to this more often!
1. i’ve taken up a new writing role! i’m now a contributing writer for MOGUL, “an award-winning technology platform for women worldwide, connecting users to trending content, including stories, jobs, and products that are personalized to their interests. MOGUL is ultimately democratizing information for women worldwide by enabling users to connect, exchange such information, and access knowledge” (taken from their website). basically, i can write articles or pieces on any topic i choose, and use this platform to connect with other female writers while having a global platform for my work. stoked about this! follow me: Shawna Marie. so far, i have two pieces up, but i’m hoping this helps keep me accountable to writing more of my personal/creative stuff (which is where my heart really lies).
2. spin class. woof. i took one last night at Equinox, which is an incredible gym that i wish i could justify paying for each month — but since i don’t at the moment, i took advantage of a friend’s guest pass and attended his favorite spin class with him — and it took me all of three minutes to remember how much i dislike spin. i mean, i like the idea of it, and i love the music, and the teacher was awwwesommmee and i sort of wanted to be her — but the reality is that i struggle for those entire 45 minutes and pretty much feel like i could die at any time. everything i love about running is reversed in spin: outdoors vs. indoors, individual vs. group, forward motion vs. stationary, so much sweat you can’t see — it’s just nahhhht for me. i get the whole “cross training is good for you” thing, but spin kills me, and my knee aches the entire time from all the repetitive motion. fail.
3. music. i heard a song during spin last night that i loooooved and told myself i had to remember so i could download it later — and i can’t remember how it goes. at all. this drives me crazzzzyyy and has been on my mind nonstop since then. if i’m going to suffer through a spin class, i should at least be able to get new music out of it.
i’m honestly considering emailing the spin instructor (b/c she gave me her email in case i wanted to try a class at the SoHo location, but let’s be honest, i’d be happier with new music than a spin class) and asking her for last night’s playlist. okay, so that actually just happened right after i wrote that. let’s hope she gets back to me! i neeeeed this song.
4. yoga. i’m finalllly going to yoga tonight!! i went last year with one of my bestest friends to OM Factory and really enjoyed the class — and never went back, despite continually asserting my need for more yoga, whoops. better late than never, right? oh, and an admission: i think i’m just as stoked to have a real reason to wear my amazing birthday gift from said yogi best friend as i am to actually take a yoga class:
obsessed. OmShanti leggings are where it’s at.
5. week of workouts: switching it up. i’m having the most varied workout week, which i’m really happy about (minus the misery that is spin class). i did an hour of strength/kettlebells/abs yesterday morning, then the spin class last night, and then a 5-mile run this morning (which felt way better than i’d anticipated given an angry calf i’ve been nursing all week), and now yoga tonight. sorta feeling pretty amazing about that lineup of two 2-a-days in a row.
6. surprises are amazing. so i just took a break and went to lunch in the middle of writing this post, and came back to an email from the lovely spin teacher with my song in it!! gahhhh this day just keeps getting better and better.
7. hilarious marketing. my corner wine shop killed it with the signage last night.
i went in right after spin class and bought two bottles just to support their use of creative marketing. (well and because, WINE.) nice job, guys. sold.
8. every girl needs this.
in a world where it can be so easy to give into negativity and insecurities and focus on what’s “wrong” with our bodies or our lives, we need to surround ourselves by reminders of how amazing we really are. i want to buy this for every single one of my friends — and put one by my bed, too. imagine starting and ending your day with such a pick-me-up?
or another similar option, from Etsy:
i’m into this. i think these will make great presents!
9. this is awesome…
cheers to almost Friday, friends!
Tell me something random from your week?
Best workout you’ve had this week?
Fave pair of yoga pants?
15 thoughts on “Thinking out Loud”
I think you do whatever cross training you love like…um…DANCING! Hello!
P.S. I adore those leggings! I need me some more crazy pants for when I teach my classes.
they’re so comfy, too! you should check them out.
Absolutely terrific blog! Love it!
That (I’m assuming it was for a bar) sign is GENIUS. I don’t get down much with the C2H6O, but my goodness that’s a brilliant marketing technique. Congrats on the writing gig! YAY.
thanks girl! and yep, it was for a wine store. close enough. 🙂
Those leggings are so adorable! It looks great on you! I have not branched out to to leggings that are not black, of course patterns our way back down the list!
thank you! i’m suuuuch a sucker for fun leggings!
Your writing job sounds very creative! I recently started going back to spin class, after taking half a year off! Well, the last two Wednesdays, spin class has kicked my quads! I’m still debating on purchasing Spandits leggings!
wait what are Spandits?! i have to look this up! yes, spin can be brutal, right? after it’s over (like, a few days later) i start thinking, “okay, maybe i SHOULD go back again sometime…” – it’s a love/hate.
COngrats! There is not a thing on this post that I’m not totally fist pumping over. I need some peacock leggings, and YAY for spin classes! I looooove me some spin. But yeah Equinox is hella $$ but in NYC it might just be worth it!
thanks girl! you’re such a great encourager. yes, get some peacock leggings and let’s meet one day and wear them together. 🙂
Ha – I despise spin, too! I love biking outside though. Enjoy that yoga class – your leggings are freaking sweet!
This post is full of awesomeness. First of all congrats on the new writing gig! That is fantastic and absolutely well deserved. Spinning and yoga are two things I enjoy but always put on the back burner because of running. It is just so much more fun for me and easier to hop out the door than to trek to the gym or studio.
Ah these sound like such awesome workouts you’re getting in! I’m not really a fan of spin either and totally support your decision to buy wine after that 🙂 And yay for your new writing platform! That’s exciting and I will be sure to check it out!