Thursday means a big shout-out-thanks to Amanda @ Running With Spoons, I get a chance to rant all over the place today and use it as an excuse to linkup with some other fun bloggers.
1. So first off, I just received an email (literally like 3 minutes ago) that a piece I recently submitted to Thought Catalog was accepted (!!!), so I’m currently really excited about that. I’ve published this piece on my Mogul site before, but I’m a huge Thought Catalog fan and definitely feel I can get more exposure being published there.
My piece: You Have the Right to Remain Single
I’ve written quite a few memoir pieces over the years and this one (written this past year) holds a special place in my heart, so I’m over the moon thrilled and so very flattered that it was published on this site. I have a writer’s page now as well, so I hope to continue to push myself to write content worthy of being published. (PS – If you’ve never checked out this site, do yourself a big favor and start perusing — there are so many great reads!)
2. I have big plans to be all outdoorsy this weekend, as the boy and I are going to drive a bit north of the city and go for a hike on Saturday, which is something we’ve been talking about doing for a while. September seems like the ideal time to hike in NY, so I’m stoked to get out of the city and explore some new-to-us paths and towns along the Hudson. It’s crazy to me that I live so close to these quaint little towns and gorgeous hiking trails, and yet I’ve barely explored any of that area. Time to change that! And I already know I’m going to want to go again once the leaves start to change and take in all that beauty.
3. Has anyone tried these alluring bars of healthy goodness yet?
The only RxBar I’ve tried so far is the blueberry, which I rather enjoyed, so I figured I should buy a box of the seasonal pumpkin spice flavor while it’s available and show down on those as a wholesome way to welcome the start of Autumn. I’ve basically given up all bars except for the occasional Larabar (as they’re only dates and nuts), but I know these are also clean-eating friendly and whole food based, so I figured I’ll give ’em a whirl. Aka I blindly ordered a box off Amazon and really hope I like them.
4. I feel like I’m getting a bit “bored” (not sure that’s exactly the right word but it’s in that wheelhouse so I’m sticking with that for now) with my workouts lately. I think I’m missing the high-intensity of the boot camp classes I used to take and need to up the kettlebell, plyo, TRX sessions to at least two a week. I’d love to try Orange Theory or do Class Pass, but right now my schedule is so restricted that really the only way for me to workout is either to wake up and immediately go running along the Hudson or else go two flights down to my apartment building gym and push myself as hard as I can without a trainer screaming at me to do another push-up until I fall on my face. Maybe I should take advantage of some of the Nike workouts, or look for suggestions online. Any thoughts?
5. I’m currently reading The Untethered Soul and having mixed feelings about it. It’s very heady and zen, which I don’t really mind, except that while it does force me to think about the process of thinking and taking ownership of my consciousness (and not really being someone who is stuck inside her head too much or does much over thinking at all, some of it is a bit hit-or-miss for me), the primary affect it’s having on me is to make me wish I was really good at yoga (aka flexible at all) and send me searching for cool yoga pants online from which to start my own stretching practice in my bedroom. Apparently I associate meditation with lying on a mat in cute patterns and practicing gratitude… and I’m okay with that. I’m just not quite sure that’s what the author was going for.
6. Been feeling a pull lately to really embrace simplicity more in the way I live, which is spurring me to want to dump the entire contents of my closet (and dressers, and beneath-the-bed bins) onto my floor and really contemplate what I can live without. This then led me to think about the kind of life I’d like to lead right now, which brought me to thoughts of moving somewhere super granola outdoorsy, surrounded by natural beauty, where I can engage in all sorts of physical outdoor activities to my heart’s content on a year-round basis and feel really centered and balanced. And that led me to thinking about what a complete overhaul of my closet would look like and what sort of clothing best represents me…and a few minutes later, I’d purchased a sweet Patagonia jacket from Backcountry. I mean, I can totally justify the jacket and love it, but find it sort of hilarious that a thought process starting with “simplify your life” and then going to “get rid of unnecessary stuff” finally led to “buy something new.” But I’m going to tackle the purge soon, I swear. This is just extra fuel for that fire. 😉
I think that’s enough ranting for today! Feel free to tell me something random from your week.
6 thoughts on “Simplicity, Pumpkin Spice & I’m Published! (TOLT)”
I’m alllll about that minimalist life, and have no problem getting rid of things, but the second I see Patagonia anything all bets are out the window. CONGRATS ON THOUGHT CATALOG!
I need to take a page out of your book and start letting more stuff fly! THANK YOU!
Congrats on getting published! I loved it – a great perspective for so many people in their 20s and those trying to figure their sh*it out. We live about a mile away from a Patagonia outlet which is a good and a very bad thing….
Thanks so much! And amazingness that you live right near Patagonia…also horribly tempting, I hear ya. All about balance, right? 🙂
I love this post! First off, CONGRATS on publishing ran article in TC!!! I will check out your post now. Love that publication and am a regular reader. You should be super proud, that’s awesome! Also, I LOVE Rx bars, most flavors. Wish they weren’t so pricey but I buy in bulk from Amazon 🙂 Lastly, love your idea of cleaning out things- I go through my stuff regularly and toss out anything I haven’t worn in 2 seasons. Simplicity and being a minimalist are my mottos! I find it to bra less stressful way of living. Have a happy Friday and a great weekend exploring the outdoors! Xo
Thanks so much, lady! I’m such a TC fan as well and was really happy/flattered, and hopefully will continue to try to write for them. I had the Chocolate Coffee Rx bar after I wrote that post yesterday and really liked it, so that’s a win! They sit so well with me. I’ll def be purchasing off Amazon regularly too — pricey lil guys! Love that simplicity motto and need to embrace it even more. Have a great weekend, girl! xo